This section is for various tests and the conceptualization of ideas or methods I'm learning about. It's not all pretty, and some tests may be total failures, but it's nice to have a log of things to look back on. It's like a toy chest of ideas for me to try things out. Nothing is really final here, this is a place of learning and experimentation.
An older project for Darkwater studios, this details some manufacturing processes for industrial waste cleanup on Superfund Sites. Used this to learn more about FumeFX and Afterburn. Doesn't quite make the cut for the main page anymore, but it was a fun learning process regardless. It was a simple task to get smoke from the fire, but it wasn't easily controlled at my experience level so I split the process between 2 systems.
Another kiln visualization for a machine used in Superfund cleanup sites. From the same project, but a different area. The biggest pain came from the limitations of pflow back in 2005/2006 when the project was completed. With box 3 integrated and a better method for particle surface follow this might be fun to revisit later.
I've been seeing some pretty great 'invisible person' renders recently and wanted to take a stab at it. I didn't have a pattern to follow here, so I winged it. The toughest part was due to the nature of the 'stringer' t-shirt, the skinny areas around the neck just wouldn't settle when I did a simulation. In the end I had to make the particle distance quite large at first and slowly lower it to keep it from freaking out, but it worked quit well under those conditions.
The original test for the Superfund cleanup process videos on the left columnn here. FumeFX really was super easy to get working and is quite fun to use. This was a simple test of pflow + FumeFx to make sure fire and smoke were working properly for the other videos.